Monday, December 22, 2008

Beckham almost hit by car

Before adopting Beckham, we had planned for a family trip (Joyce's family) to Perth on 17 Nov 2007.

Ever since we officially adopted Beckham in 1 Oct 2007, we had been very attached to him or him to us ;) We slept together on the same bed :p Beckham is a very special dog to us. He doesn't pee at home, he doesn't bark and he cannot stay at home alone. Being alone at home, he'll cry and cry and you'll find a pool of water on the floor when you reach home. It's not urine, but tears mixed with saliva. You'll find that his eyes and neck totally wet. He will be very excited to see you home.

I've installed a webcam at home to monitor his movement when we are not at home. We found that he will sit at the door waiting for our return at night 98% of the time. Early in the morning before we went to work, we'll bring him down to pee and when we reach home, we'll bring him down again to pee. He will not pee at home (except for the 1st few days, he pee at the carpet, but within a short time frame, he learnt not to pee on the carpet anymore).

Finally, we made a decision to have him babysit while we were working. Joyce's Ah Pei stayed at her mom's house and he is unemployed. My mom is a housewife. So every morning, we'll either bring Beckham to Joyce's mom house or my mom's house to babysit.

As we are preparing to go to Perth, and Beckham has been so attached to us, we made plans for him to stay with my parent while we are in Perth. To test it out, we let Beckham stayed overnight at my parent's place on 15 Nov 2007. On 16 Nov, I received a phone call from my dad with a bad news and a good news.

The bad news is Beckham is almost hit by cars and my dad was injured. The good news is both are safe. What happened is that my dad brought Beckham down for a morning walk. Suddenly, Beckham saw another dog on the opposite side of a main road and dash across. He was so fast and sudden for my dad to react that the leash slipped my dad's hand. As he was running, my dad was shouting at him. There were cars on the road and Beckham was running across the road. My dad was unable to catch him before he run across the road.

Everything was happening so fast and Beckham was seen stopping at the 2nd lane of a 3 lanes road and a car (not a sedan, but I think it's a MPV where the bumper was higher) ran across Beckham and not hitting him. If it's a sedan car, he'll be hit. After the car went over Beckham with Beckham sitting on the road in the 2nd lane, my dad quickly ran over to pick Beckham up and ended up injuring his knee and palm. Other cars behind was slowing down at that moment.

The timing was just nice and the car that went over Beckham was the right type of car for Beckham to survive this event.

No comments: